Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to move a Bridgeport

David Billington wrote:

I'm not sure what the series 2 is but my belt change BP went through a
2' 6" doorway with the 42" x 9" table in place. I just wound the table
all the way to one end, then angled the BP so the table could be wound
all the way to the other end through the doorway, then pushed the BP
through. The base being about 24" wide it was no problem. The BP was
being moved on flat concrete on 1" diameter steel bars and a pry bar.

The Series-II Bridgeport is a totally different machine, and MUCH larger
than the traditional (Series-I) machines everybody thinks of first. It
is about 7 feet tall, weighs 3500 Lbs or so in the manual version and
much more as a CNC. The manual machine has 15" of Y travel, the
Series-I only 12". Everything is scaled up bigger. The knee ways are
box ways instead of dovetail.

Jon