Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Looking for a hard felt washer 1/2" x 1" x 1/8"

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:58:11 -0400, Ken Sterling
wrote:

Chris Tidy wrote:

I am repairing an electric motor for a friend. The centrifugal switch is
broken. It needs a replacement felt washer as the original has worn
down. It needs to be a hard felt washer (not the kind which is rubber
mixed with felt) with dimensions 1/2" (hole) by 1" (overall diameter) by
1/8" (thickness). Anyone know of a source? I can send money by PayPal if
anyone has one they're willing to sell.

I would rip out all the centrifugal stuff and install a sinpac switch
in its place... the centrifugal parts will just be a problem again in
the future....
OTOH, why does it have to be felt - why not some kind of plastic, as
that would last longer. It just has to activate the switch, right?
Ken.

I'll bet part of it's function is an oil wick, so you need to
provide a suitable substitute. But a separate plastic washer in front
of it would provide wear resistance and allow the oil to work around
the edges to the mechanism.

It might function as an oil wick, I'm not sure. But it certainly has to
be an insulator as it touched live components. I had wondered about
making a replacement out of Tufnol (SRBF), but I think it might make the
motor more noisy, and I'm not sure how it would wear.

Myself, if it didn't show up at a reasonable price available premade
I'd go find a sheet of the right hard wool felt at a fabric store or
haberdashery supply ("10/6 in this size" ;-) ) to make the washer
myself, and be done with it.

I doubt those haberdashery felts are stiff enough. This washer needs to
resist radial compression.

The center hole is easily cut with a gasket cutter or leatherwork
punch cutter, and if you can't find a 1" cutter you can make one with
a sharpened piece of pipe. Or mark it with a compass and use a sharp
pair of scissors, it's only felt and OD cuts are easy...

Do you just hit those punches with a hammer?

Best wishes,

Chris