Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol contaminated with diesel

Appin wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Then I have seen paraffin engines: paraffin was in use for lamps from
IIRC the mid 9th century onwards. Also alcohol engines. Moderm model
aircraft engines are alcohol engines with glow plugs.

I would guess that te sort of kerosene/paraffin type fuels were in use
before petrol was actually.

James "Paraffin" Young developed the first commerical production of
petroleum in the 1850s, working largely from oil shale. It was he who
was largely responsible for defining the point on the fractional
distillation product should be taken off and paraffin was the point for
the standard product he marketed most enthusiastically. The company
also had a large business manufactuing new designs of lamps specially
made to burn the new product to best advantage.

ah. fascinating. i note I missed the 1 off 19th century..bit of a
blooper that. But thanks for confirming my gut feel that paraffin lamps
were in use from about that time onwards.