Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Filling a window sill

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
George \(dicegeorge\) wrote:
There are big gaps in my wooden window frames where the wood has rotted-
but to fill it with car body filler would cost a lot of fivers, so could
I paint it with Cuprinol 5 star anti-rot then fill it with expanding
foam then skim the surface with car body filler or Polyfilla exterior
filler or something similar and then paint it?

Once rot has got a hold anything like this is just a stopgap. The only
way
is to cut it out and replace with new timber. Which won't cost 'lots of
fivers'.

No. that i actually not true.

If u can get the wood dry, and then apply a very runny resin to it that
soaks into the rotten fibres and stabilises (and seals against more
water ingress) then making good with another resin is fine: the issue is
a balance between when new wood and the labour to fit it is cheaper than
the filler.

New wood is fine if you're replacing the whole sill, otherwise I'd
always go for the body filler