Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to improve effectiveness of fireplace - fit a woodburningstove?

Anna Kettle wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:32:24 +0100, Rod
wrote:

Wood I can understand, but why does plaster need covering? Its not
flammable

The answer to my own question is that plaster is not flammable, at
least not at the temperatures which will surround a woodburning stove.
Plaster is basically rock and needs to be heated to significant
temperatures before it changes state

IN a fire, it crumbles. Anyway check with BCO.

Timber and paper on the other hand are flammable and if either of them
is masquerading as plaster then there is a fire risk. In Tudor times,
timber framed smoke bays were sometimes installed in houses instead of
masonry chimney stacks. Not many survive

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation