Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Propane/diesel?

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
RAM³ wrote:.

The goal of these systems is similar to Nitrous Oxide augmentation of
Gasoline engines: boosting power beyond normal output levels.

As with other augmentation approaches - "chipping", reprogramming,
etc. - one must be cautious lest one "blow" the engine.

Except that Nitrous Oxide adds oxidizer (free oxygen) to the engine. The
propane thing adds a different fuel (hydrocarbon). It is cleaner because
the ratio of hydrogen to carbon is higher. Not sure why it would be more
powerful.

Question: would you pay the money to have this done to your vehicle? A
'06 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo with 45k miles.

Steve

I'm driving an '03.5 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbo and, at most, would go with a
"programmer" so that I can maintain the Warranty on the Cummins.

I would most emphatically *NOT* put one of the Propane kits on *MY* truck.

If you're trying to run the engine strictly off of Propane, be advised that
you'll have to pony up the *taxes* for a road vehicle yourself since most
Propane dealers don't collect it. Most State Governments get pretty anal
about this issue.

If you're just wanting more HP/Torque, a "programmer" has, as I said,
disticnct advantages over a "hardware" approach.

If you don't care about the Warranty on your fine engine, head on over to
http://www.turbodieselregister.com where you'll find a whole lot of
power-boosting information from a big bunch of *serious* Cummins
Hot-Rodders. GRIN

BTW, My truck is primarily used to tow a 7-ton fifth-wheel RV around the US
West of the Big Muddy and, so far, I've not had much of a power issue even
on 10% grades like the drive into Mt. Rushmore.