Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Propane/diesel?

I'd be real leary of those high hp and efficiency claims. Where do they
get the extra oxygen to combine with the additional fuel?
Dual fuel engines make sense when there's a possibility of running
out of one or the other fuel keeps you up and running.
One of the possibilities that intersts me is running a diesel on
pilot fuel and wood gas.

Saving money on fuel is another issue. If the information that the
claims are based on is only 6-12 months old, the difference in diesel
fuel and propane prices might make the conversion sound real good. But
propane prices have soared so much during that period that any fuel COST
savings may be gone. My propane cost for home heating went from
$1.54/gal to $2.27 during that period.

As far as using a pilot fuel of diesel: I have heard that it doesn't
work well (or maybe not at all) with diesel engines having precombustion
chambers --- direct injection only.

Pete Stanaitis

SteveB wrote:
Today, I saw a company that is promoting a propane/diesel fuel system.
Touted to have all kinds of upsides including increased horsepower and
double fuel efficiency.

Anyone hear of this or can provide info?

Steve