Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Toilet seat not staying up?

Dave W wrote:
On 17 Sep, 19:37, "Gareth" wrote:
I can't find any solution to this problem - the toilet cistern seems to be a
bit too far forward for the seat to stay up.

I've tried altering the position of the fixings (and even lost a double hole
washer down the toilet in the process - and can't find anywhere to buy a
replacement!)

Has anyone else had the same problem and managed to solve it without raising
the cistern?

The two fixings I've encountered are made with rotatable disks that
sit over the holes in the ceramic. The disks have two 'nut' sections,
either of which can take the fixing bolts. This means a wide range of
positions for the lid hinges can be set up, and I had to bring the
pivots to the maximum distance towards you, to allow the heavy lid to
stay up. A possible trouble was that the lid was now so far forward
that the front edge of the pan was almost fully visible.

Dave W

I fitted a slimline plastic cistern. A bit pikey but it gave me extra
space for 2" of insulation behind, plus the seat stayed up.