Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to improve effectiveness of fireplace - fit a woodburningstove?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I can offer some input on this, having discussed the very same issue
with the local stove shop down the end of the village.

His opinion was that, yes, the flue must be lined as you say for the
same reasons. However, he was of the opinion that the lining may not
need any packing (eg vermiculite) around it if the chimney is good
and relatively free from tar. On this premise, I was told that DIY
fitting his stainless steel liner would be straightforward and would
cost in the low 100's for 7m of liner and top + bottom end parts. In
short, he said I could get a reasonable quality medium sized stove
and liner+parts for a grand from him and he was fairly confident the
BCO (who he knew in passing) would probably be OK with it, although
of course I should check first, he added, quite reasonably.

Do you not have to be registered with CORGI or similar to install a wood
burning stove? I know its not gas, but adequate ventilation & CO2 escape
must be considerations?

No,but you must pass building regs.

The hazards are les explosive and being gassed, and more fire related.

The kernel of the regulatins are there to ensure that the stove has
adequate ventilation, that the flue goes out of the living space
sensibly without leaks, and that the hottest parts of the stove and flue
are well insulated from suitably fire resistant adjacent materials.

What this boils down to is that flues must be very well sealed, and
prefarably double walled insulated to both keep flue temperatures up
high enough to keep tars out of the flue, and protect any flammable
stuff near the flue from catching fire. If the chimney is already decent
and old enough, you may be allowed to drop a flexible flue down.
Otherwise its double insulated stainless flue. Expensive.

The hearth area should be already good enough, but you need a gap
between the stove doors and anything flammable covered with fireproof
tiles etc, and any wood or plasterwork close to or behind the stove
needs a masterboard type covering on it - essentially asbestos board
without asbestos.

Current wood prices are well below oil/gas prices though, so it is cost
effective.