Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

"Andy Wade" wrote in message

Now can I ask a supplementary Ethernet question about switches while all
the networking experts are around? Can you cascade the cheap unmanaged
switches /ad-infinitum/ and maintain communication between all nodes? For
example say two ports from a typical 4-port ADSL router, R, each feed
remote 8-port switches, A & B. Each switch provides 7 ports used to
connect local network devices. In this network will a device on switch A
be able to communicate with a device on switch B, via the switch in R?

Within certain limits yes.
Each switch will add a small delay.
If the total delay exceeds the protocol timeout you are using it will fail
even though the packets are being delivered.
In practice it is a lot of switches.
I dimension the UK for switched local access once and had it put to the
board at BT.
It was to give 100M access to every home (and 1G if paid for) but they
didn't like it as it wasn't fibre and "the press would crucify us".
I won't tell you the estimated cost but it wasn't as expensive as the £28
billion talked about in the press by a long way.

They did steal some of my ideas though..

like putting a wireless receiver as the termination node of the wires and
then running a public wireless network from it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they make small water proof network switches and
drop them down the access holes either as that was what was intended..
string together as many as needed to get to the end point with 100M TP teed
off as you went.

The best one was how to power it.. obvious really just get the power from
the customers node, its copper so getting a few watts was easy.