Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default How to improve effectiveness of fireplace - fit a woodburning stove?

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

I can offer some input on this, having discussed the very same issue
with the local stove shop down the end of the village.

His opinion was that, yes, the flue must be lined as you say for the
same reasons. However, he was of the opinion that the lining may not
need any packing (eg vermiculite) around it if the chimney is good
and relatively free from tar. On this premise, I was told that DIY
fitting his stainless steel liner would be straightforward and would
cost in the low 100's for 7m of liner and top + bottom end parts. In
short, he said I could get a reasonable quality medium sized stove
and liner+parts for a grand from him and he was fairly confident the
BCO (who he knew in passing) would probably be OK with it, although
of course I should check first, he added, quite reasonably.

Do you not have to be registered with CORGI or similar to install a wood
burning stove? I know its not gas, but adequate ventilation & CO2 escape
must be considerations?

I don't know in the general case of doing for hire or reward.

But, for your own home, you can certainly do gas plus this will be under a
BNA regarding the flue anyway (same BNA as the 6 million other jobs on the
house!).

So, I think the answer is certainly no in my case; in your case, if you were
doing as a job for someone else, then I'm uncertain. Most of the stove guys
are registered with their professional body, HETAS, so perhaps this body
covers the ventilation requirements associated with a stove fit?

Cheers

Tim