Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Sheetrock repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 04:44:37 -0700 (PDT), NealR2000
wrote:

I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Your friend is right, sheetrock has a paper layer. It would be easier
to replave it, use green sheetrock for mold/mildew resistance.

I agree, you probably could shave it down and build it back up with
joint compound, but it'll probably be easier/quicker to just knock it
down and start over, and you'll get a better finish that way and also
you won't wonder whether there's any mold you didn't get.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel