Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Sheetrock repair

"NealR2000" wrote in message
I have a finished basement, with painted sheetrock on the walls. One
of the walls got water damaged a year ago, due to outside flooding.
The exterior problem has since been fixed, and everything is now dry.
The result, however, is a fair amount of minor "bubbling" on the
sheetrock.

Can this be sanded down and re-painted, or do I need to have new
sheetrock installed? I thought I could just have it sanded, but a
friend of mine said that sheetrock has a top layer of paper, and you
cannot just sand this down.

Peel,cut or scrape ALL loose paper off (bubbles).. MUCH easier than
sanding.Re-screw affected area..Re-set popped screwheads..skim coat the area
2 or 3 times. Using Sheetrock Brand Easysand setting type Joint Compound
(20,45,90) instead of regular joint compound will help with any mold as it
seems mold doesn't like it for some reason...LOL...Sand,prime and paint..If
sheetrock crumbles and falls apart then you will have to cut out the
affected area and put up new Rock...Good luck....