Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Metalworking going on out in the garage today

"Wes" wrote in message
Well today, while I was at work repairing airgaging systems on a machining
center and
other things, uncle was over at my place having fun in the garage.

First order of events was to use that pottery kiln I bought last year to
heat treat a
spring for one of his underhammers. The pottery kiln isn't the best thing
but I have one.
I wired up a controller for it last weekend in a box I made of sheet steel
plates, screw
plates and screws.

He noticed that the wire passing under the lid was letting heat out
slowing the heating.
Uncle figured out a cure. Poured a ring of michigan blow sand around the
perimeter and
set the lid on it. (kiln is a top loader)

He then used my lathe to face the breach of a .62 underhammer he built for
me a few years
ago and clock the barrel. Track of the Wolf installed the breach plug
when I bought the
barrel but the barrel shot 6" left at 100 yards. Clocking it puts the
deviation where a
tall sight can deal with it.

Along the way he used the bridgeport for something related to the rifle.

Then he swiped my sawsall to cut some aluminum windows out of his house so
he could
replace them.

Later he returned the saw and delivered an oil barrel to use as a burn
barrel.

Sadly, my only home metal working project today was using the sawsall to
cut the top out
of the oil barrel.

Wes