Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking going on out in the garage today

Well today, while I was at work repairing airgaging systems on a machining center and
other things, uncle was over at my place having fun in the garage.

First order of events was to use that pottery kiln I bought last year to heat treat a
spring for one of his underhammers. The pottery kiln isn't the best thing but I have one.
I wired up a controller for it last weekend in a box I made of sheet steel plates, screw
plates and screws.

He noticed that the wire passing under the lid was letting heat out slowing the heating.
Uncle figured out a cure. Poured a ring of michigan blow sand around the perimeter and
set the lid on it. (kiln is a top loader)

He then used my lathe to face the breach of a .62 underhammer he built for me a few years
ago and clock the barrel. Track of the Wolf installed the breach plug when I bought the
barrel but the barrel shot 6" left at 100 yards. Clocking it puts the deviation where a
tall sight can deal with it.

Along the way he used the bridgeport for something related to the rifle.

Then he swiped my sawsall to cut some aluminum windows out of his house so he could
replace them.

Later he returned the saw and delivered an oil barrel to use as a burn barrel.

Sadly, my only home metal working project today was using the sawsall to cut the top out
of the oil barrel.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:15:05 -0400, Wes wrote:

Sadly, my only home metal working project today was using the sawsall to cut the top out
of the oil barrel.

Wes

A cold chisel and hammer usually make a neater job (and quicker :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

A cold chisel and hammer usually make a neater job (and quicker :-)

It didn't look that bad. The drain holes in the bottom will be drilled by my .45 caliber
kinetic drill tomorrow.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your uncle sounds exactly like my kid. But only if, 1) he broke something,
and 2) he didn't clean up

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Your uncle sounds exactly like my kid. But only if, 1) he broke something,
and 2) he didn't clean up

Karl

Usually he leaves me tooling and often cleans up both our messes. Sure hope he catches
some Salmon tonight, I'm hungry for smoked fish.

Wes