Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting metal windows - hammerite?

On Sep 17, 9:57*pm, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
Should i paint it before or after i put the glass in?

Should i fit the window back into its frame before i put the glass in
in case its been bent out of square?

Should i clean it with anything after scraping most of the paint off with a
blunt chisel?

All depends what state its in. If the paint is mostly sound, no need
to scrape off. If OTOH the whole thing is a terrible mess, a wire
brush in an angle grinder would strip everything off, rust included.

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message

I've taken advantage of the dry weather and removed 2 broken opening metal
windows,
they're in the best room, the Snug, *so how shall i paint them - not water
based paint!

Usually ordinary household gloss is used. Car paints last much better
on steel & iron, but cost more initially. Personally I dont recommend
hammerite, it pinholes badly IME.

NT