Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:02:56 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

Pins 1+3 MUST be from one twisted pair ( usually orng / orng-wht, but
could be any colour ).
Pins 3+6 MUST be from another twisted pair. ( usually grn / grn-wht, but
again, could be any colour. )

This is absolutely crucial.

snip
You just need to do what we say.

snip
I've installed these things more times than I can recount.

You better recount your pin numbers, I'm intriged by the common use of pin
3 between two pairs. So on balance I think it's probably best if the OP
does not "do what we say". B-)

Looking at the picture of the socket back it does appear that the grn/wht
and org/wht wires are transposed. Look at the colour coding blobs half
hidden by the wires. It's normal to have adjacent terminals to be a pair
not have them split apart. Having them apart plays havoc with the
impedance an possibly the balance as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.