Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Why drive off wooden windowills?

On Sep 16, 11:45*pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. *They were in terrible shape from years of
neglect and hot sun. *I had prepped some of the sills by sanding a few
years ago, but gave up because the upper part of the frames were so
messed up; finally hired a pro.,

He prepped everything carefully and applied 2 coats of primer and a
coat of Benjamin Moore acrylic outdoor *paint.

Here's my q: * He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

Your thoughts?

TIA

Odds are he has seen some problems in the past. To be sure, why not
call B-M customer service and ask them? It may be that latex paints of
today develop water resistance rather slowly as they cure (as opposed
to 'dry'). Water from any source then will affect the bond to the
substrate. With that information, seems sensible to help the new
finish get extra life. HTH

Joe.