Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why drive off wooden windowills?

I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. They were in terrible shape from years of
neglect and hot sun. I had prepped some of the sills by sanding a few
years ago, but gave up because the upper part of the frames were so
messed up; finally hired a pro.,

He prepped everything carefully and applied 2 coats of primer and a
coat of Benjamin Moore acrylic outdoor paint.

Here's my q: He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

Your thoughts?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 16, 11:45*pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. *They were in terrible shape from years of
neglect and hot sun. *I had prepped some of the sills by sanding a few
years ago, but gave up because the upper part of the frames were so
messed up; finally hired a pro.,

He prepped everything carefully and applied 2 coats of primer and a
coat of Benjamin Moore acrylic outdoor *paint.

Here's my q: * He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

Your thoughts?

TIA

Odds are he has seen some problems in the past. To be sure, why not
call B-M customer service and ask them? It may be that latex paints of
today develop water resistance rather slowly as they cure (as opposed
to 'dry'). Water from any source then will affect the bond to the
substrate. With that information, seems sensible to help the new
finish get extra life. HTH

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 11:45 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. . . .
Here's my q: He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

The point is that before the dew evaporates it
collects in individual droplets (present for an hour
or two) and the sunshine affects the paint surface
differently, (a) shining directly on a dry surface
(b) shining through a bead of water like a magnifying
lens. This can cause the paint to appear mottled.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:45:22 -0700 (PDT), Artful Dodger
wrote:

I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. They were in terrible shape from years of
neglect and hot sun. I had prepped some of the sills by sanding a few
years ago, but gave up because the upper part of the frames were so
messed up; finally hired a pro.,

He prepped everything carefully and applied 2 coats of primer and a
coat of Benjamin Moore acrylic outdoor paint.

Here's my q: He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

Your thoughts?

TIA

Water is bad for wood. Make sure the caulk is good. Clean, apply
paste wax, and buff. If water puddles, wipe it up as soon as
possible. We have issues when it's cold outside and making a large
pot of home-made soup. More air movement (and sun) helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks - but just to be su You're advising me to apply paste
wax to acrylic paint on wooden OUTDOOR window sills on W. (sunny) side
of house?

Wondering if your reference to home-made soup (I'll be right over!)
means you
thought these were INDOOR wood sills. Pls. clarify, tx.

If you do mean OUTDOOR wood sills, is there any downside to waxing?
Like, maybe focusses sun more strongly on wood?

Inquiring minds...

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 12:49 pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
[...]

OK, point taken. I've been meaning to get up earlier anyway.
Get out there & wipe first thing in morning.

I just HATE when the days get shorter -- and will get much
shorter after Hallowe'en. WHY don't they just get rid of the
(&&^$(_+7& Daylight Savings Time on in the Spring, off in the Fall.
Exactly the opposite of what it should be, if at all!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, paste wax is for interior windowsills.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

On Sep 16, 11:45 pm, Artful Dodger wrote:
I had the wood-framed windows on the West side redone recently by a
professional painter. . . .
Here's my q: He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

The point is that before the dew evaporates it
collects in individual droplets (present for an hour
or two) and the sunshine affects the paint surface
differently, (a) shining directly on a dry surface
(b) shining through a bead of water like a magnifying
lens. This can cause the paint to appear mottled.

That's ridiculous. Nobody goes outside to dry off their house every
morning. And if they do, they should be shot, or committed. What kind of
****ty exterior paint can't stand up to water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 17, 12:45*am, Artful Dodger wrote:

He prepped everything carefully and applied 2 coats of primer and a
coat of Benjamin Moore acrylic outdoor *paint.

Here's my q: * He advised wiping dew/condensation off the window sills
every morning to avoid
deteriorating the new job. (This is So. Calif coastal).

Congratulations on finding a Professional!

I don't understand why that is necessary, though I will do it if this
distinguished body so advises.
My thought was that the dew/condensation will evaporate anyhow when
the sun hits it.

Your thoughts?

Besides the other perspectives here I'd guess the water would
evaporate and leave any sea salt. I'd also guess you'd only have to
wipe them off for a week or so, until the paint has reached an
advanced state of cure.
-----

- gpsman