Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yo! Pear cider! My man Kevin Minchew (well, he's his own man,
actually) brews totally awesome pear cider. Single variety, total
headf*uck.

It was some foreign stuff (Swedish I think), but at least the brain damage
is temporary.

Anyway, thanks for the learned exegesis about switches, routers and
hubs. I take the point that I've probably over-engineered the damn
thing, but I've bought the router now so I'm stuck with it.

Not quite - you've not wasted your money. You need the router (usually part
of an ADSL modem) to get anywhere.

The switch is optional, but does mean that you can get away with running 1
cable half way round your house instead of several, if your layout demands
it.

Cheers

Tim