Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

Ron Lowe wrote:
wrote in message
On Sep 17, 6:31 pm, "Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS
wrote:
"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote in message

A photograph of the back of one of the 1-gangs is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30588773@N04/2865124701/

The wires, from left to right, top to bottom, are

Blue; Blue/White; Orange; Green/White
Green; Orange/White; Brown; Brown/White

The wiring is the same on the matching socket of the 4-gang.

Looks like it's wired up totally wrong.
You need to look at the labeling under the wires.

Pin 1 is green/white.
Pin 2 is orange.

That's all wrong.
The pairs are all messed up.

You need to pull the wires out of the punch-downs and do them as

everyone
has indicated. Use the colour codes I listed.

Check both ends.

--
Ron

To be more specific, it looks like the Orange/white and Green/white are
swapped.

Again, check all outlets, both ends.

I have a problem with this problem, conceptually.

When I plug my laptop directly into the router, the patch cable
carries the signal directly along the cable according to how the patch
cable is wired.

However, if I plug the patch cable into the 4-gang wall socket, and an
identical patch cable from the destination 1-gang socket into my
laptop, surely the colour of the wires between the 4-gang and the 1-
gang is irrelevant, provided that the two sockets are wired the same?

--------------------------

NO.
You mis-understand a cruicial point.

The colours do not matter, ( the electrons are colour-blind) but the
fact that the pairs are twisted do.
Pins 1+3 MUST be from one twisted pair ( usually orng / orng-wht, but
could be any colour ).

Completely WRONG

see here for a very good chart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

1 & 2 are a pair, 3 and 6 are a pair, 4 and 5 are a pair, and 7 ad 8 are
a pair.

Generally it doesn't matter if the pairs are wire arsy versy..as long as
the pairs are gong to the correct pins.

The most common faults I have found are badly terminated sockets..the
IDC is a bugger to get right without a proper tool, and the next problem
that has happened has been wrong grade of socket/plug. That simply
doesn't make proper contact.

Ethernet normally uses 3 and 6, and 4 and 5. We used to use the other
two pairs for telephony

Pins 3+6 MUST be from another twisted pair. ( usually grn / grn-wht, but
again, could be any colour. )

This is absolutely crucial.

Also, the arangement of pins on the outlets varies from brand to brand.

Thats true. Whats inside may not actually be 12345678 in order.

So you also need to take care of that.
You need to read the pin numbers on the faceplates and punch the wires
down using the colour-codes we have shown.

NO, use the ones in the wiki article: they are correct. Either scheme
works, as long as its the same both ends.

You just need to do what we say.

No, what the standrd is. You are talking bollox ;-)

Make the wiring at BOTH ends compliant with the standard we have indicated.
Honestly.

I've installed these things more times than I can recount.

Strange that you have managed to get it wrong every time, then.