Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] teddysnips@hotmail.com is offline

Default Network wiring problem - weird one!

On Sep 17, 6:31*pm, "Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS
wrote:
"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote in message

A photograph of the back of one of the 1-gangs is he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30588773@N04/2865124701/

The wires, from left to right, top to bottom, are

Blue; Blue/White; Orange; Green/White
Green; Orange/White; Brown; Brown/White

The wiring is the same on the matching socket of the 4-gang.

Looks like it's wired up totally wrong.
You need to look at the labeling under the wires.

Pin 1 is green/white.
Pin 2 is orange.

That's all wrong.
The pairs are all messed up.

You need to pull the wires out of the punch-downs and do them as everyone
has indicated. * Use the colour codes I listed.

Check both ends.

--
Ron

To be more specific, it looks like the Orange/white and Green/white are
swapped.

Again, check all outlets, both ends.

I have a problem with this problem, conceptually.

When I plug my laptop directly into the router, the patch cable
carries the signal directly along the cable according to how the patch
cable is wired.

However, if I plug the patch cable into the 4-gang wall socket, and an
identical patch cable from the destination 1-gang socket into my
laptop, surely the colour of the wires between the 4-gang and the 1-
gang is irrelevant, provided that the two sockets are wired the same?

See this diagram that will probably only confuse the issue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30588773@N04/2866137802/

Edward