Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default Petrol contaminated with diesel

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

My mate runs his diesel car on vegetable oil. He reckons you should thin it
with white spirit in the winter.

A lot of ws, at a price. WS is a bit of a crock and it comes from the
myth spread around a few years ago via word of mouth. A couple of litres
of ws (as commonly recommended) doesn't magically thin a tankful of
vegoil to the right viscosity.

In the absence of a fully heated fuel system, I use a 50/50
vegoil/diesel mix in the winter, bringing it up to 70/30 vegoil/diesel
in the summer. To aid combustion and keep the injectors and chambers
clean, I add a half litre of unleaded and Dexron II per tankful.

He also maintains that the diesel engine was designed to run on vegetable
oil in the first place as diesel fuel wasn't commonly available in the late
1800's. Is that right?

That was a long time ago - modern CR diesels aren't worth fejcing around
with - too expensive if the pump goes tits up. Older (than 2000)
conventional diesels with conventional Bosch pumps are very tolerant of
some right old crap, but it must be clean and of the right viscosity.
Two of the best are the old Mercs (70s onwards, iirc) along with the
older Golfs.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a