Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drilling frickin brick

On Sep 17, 3:30*am, Rheilly Phoull wrote:
z wrote:
ok, so.... installing a replacement for a freezeproof outdoor faucet
which apparently froze... anyway, there's a decorative brick wall
covering the real structural wall, and a hole about the size of an
electrical outlet box through which the faucet goes, which was covered
with a hideous aluminum plate about 8 inches square screwed randomly
to the bricks.

so, i goes to the nearest hemedepoo and gets a nice 4 inch diameter
round plastic coverplate of some kind designed for this kind of thing,
even has a circle of the right diameter embossed on the backside to
punch out. gonna install it onto the *brick with those little blue
screws that you screw into bricks, concrete, masonry, etc. after using
the special tungsten carbide drill that comes packaged with them for a
pilot hole.

naturally; three of the holes and screws work fine, the fourth
hole..... drill comes to a dead stop maybe 3/16 inch in and just sits
there getting hot. is it dull? i try it out on a spare brick, drills
right into it fine, so no, it's not dull. i assume there's a diamond
or something embedded in the brick just where i want to drill.

is there anything to do to get past this oddity, or do i either have
to move that screw and *make it look funny (assuming i find a softer
spot after all), or rotate the whole plate and try my luck again?

If all else fails unscrew the plate and rotate 45 deg and try agin :-)
Rheilly P- Hide quoted text -

If it were me, I'd have used a few dabs of construction adhesive or
similar to hold the cover plate on to begin with.