Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default 14 and 12 gauge wiring problem

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I know that you cannot use 14 gauge wire in a 20amp circuit because 14
gauge can only handle 15 amps, but I ran into a problem with my
bathroom remodel.
I have a huge mirror on one wall that also has a vanity bar light on
it that was stuck on the mirror with adhesive. The idiot who put the
mirror on did not cut out the box opening, but rather just cut out a
1" hole. The wire feeding behind the mirror is a 14 gauge wire. There
is no way I can get a 12 gauge wire inside the box because of the
small opening in the mirror. And I can't even use the 14 gauge as a
drag line to pull because its clamped in the box, and plus it's fed
from the bottom.
So my question is being that since the vanity light is the only load
that the 14 gauge wire is feeding, any problem with tapping off the
new 20A circuit that I ran? I figure the thin wiring inside the vanity
would fry first anyway before the 14 gauge would if there was a
problem.
Otherwise I would have to tear down the mirrored wall to get to the
box.

If it matters to you, you should know that what you have is not code
compliant. All junction and outlet boxes are supposed to be accesssible, and
this one obviously isn't. A mirror or other non-removable covering over a
box should be cut out to the edges of the boxes and the fixture should cover
the opening. Of course, lots of people figure codes are just to make more
money for the electricians!

Don Young