Posted to alt.home.repair

Default more on paint/stain VOCs

On 9/16/2008 5:05 PM dpb spake thus:

Why? I dunno. Maybe for penetration rather than drying. And if that's
the case, I'd say it was a GOOD idea. That's another question that
needs answering.

As I said earlier, find and read stuff Chris Minck writes -- he's a
professional finishes chemist and gives the reasons behind all this
stuff in layman terms in articles and Q&A columns in FWW in particular
that I'm aware of.

I second that emotion. Haven't looked at FWW for a while (used to be a
subscriber), but I remember that their writers were very good at
demystifying and explaining whatever process, material or tool they were
writing about.

And to answer the question before that, yes, pretty sure the solvent in
deck coatings is for penetration and has nothing to do with drying
(apart from possibly slowing it down).

- Paulo Freire