Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil again Phil again is offline

Default Painting the Transition Between Drywall and Plaster

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:33:20 -0700, gobofraggle wrote:

After extensive plaster ceiling repairs, where my ceiling meets the
walls, there is a transition between plaster (ceilings) and drywall
(walls) about one foot down on the walls. After painting with flat
latex paint, the painted plaster on the upper walls appears lighter and
shinier than the painted drywall (lower down on the walls). This is
especially so right where the wall meets the ceiling, where I've used a
brush (rather than a roller) to cut-in. (Of course, the plaster is much
smoother than the drywall.)

Is there anything I could do to minimize the transition between the
plaster and the drywall in terms of painted finish/texture? Someone
suggested using a thicker nap roller on the plaster to create some
texture that would match the "orange peel" appearance of the drywall.

Any advice?

If, and that could be a big IF, I understand your question:

Talk to a decorator, getting a match between plaster and drywall will be
hard to do. So, don't try. Use another approach, such as a decorative
wall-paper strip (with boarder) about 12" or 24" from the ceiling down on
each wall. (or how ever far down the wall the problem is.)

Warning, if you don't know what you are doing with matching wall paper
colors, window treatment, carpets, color schemes, and color transitions
room-to-room, you can get into a lot of ugly real fast.