Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting the Transition Between Drywall and Plaster

After extensive plaster ceiling repairs, where my ceiling meets the
walls, there is a transition between plaster (ceilings) and drywall
(walls) about one foot down on the walls. After painting with flat
latex paint, the painted plaster on the upper walls appears lighter
and shinier than the painted drywall (lower down on the walls). This
is especially so right where the wall meets the ceiling, where I've
used a brush (rather than a roller) to cut-in. (Of course, the
plaster is much smoother than the drywall.)

Is there anything I could do to minimize the transition between the
plaster and the drywall in terms of painted finish/texture? Someone
suggested using a thicker nap roller on the plaster to create some
texture that would match the "orange peel" appearance of the drywall.

Any advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 12:19*pm, Norminn wrote:
Norminn wrote:
wrote:

After extensive plaster ceiling repairs, where my ceiling meets the
walls, there is a transition between plaster (ceilings) and drywall
(walls) about one foot down on the walls. *After painting with flat
latex paint, the painted plaster on the upper walls appears lighter
and shinier than the painted drywall (lower down on the walls). *This
is especially so right where the wall meets the ceiling, where I've
used a brush (rather than a roller) to cut-in. *(Of course, the
plaster is much smoother than the drywall.)

Is there anything I could do to minimize the transition between the
plaster and the drywall in terms of painted finish/texture? *Someone
suggested using a thicker nap roller on the plaster to create some
texture that would match the "orange peel" appearance of the drywall.

Any advice?

The plaster is new? *Primed? *The drywall is old, previously painted?

And.........did the plaster cure for at least a month?

The room is totally painted, so I really can't go back and repaint the
whole room with the Sheetrock product. I am willing, though, to go
over the area where the ceiling meets the wall. Should I just keep
recoating until the tones match? What about brushstrokes, as compared
to the texture a roller leaves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You can't paint one foot down on a wall and expect it to match. Even
if you didn't have the plaster/drywall texture difference - it always
shows up. Using a coarser nap roller cover and painting the smoother
area, then letting it dry and painting the whole wall with the
original roller cover is one sequence I use to match textures. Using
a coarser roller cover for the whole thing is fine if you like
slightly textured walls more than smoother ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:33:20 -0700, gobofraggle wrote:

After extensive plaster ceiling repairs, where my ceiling meets the
walls, there is a transition between plaster (ceilings) and drywall
(walls) about one foot down on the walls. After painting with flat
latex paint, the painted plaster on the upper walls appears lighter and
shinier than the painted drywall (lower down on the walls). This is
especially so right where the wall meets the ceiling, where I've used a
brush (rather than a roller) to cut-in. (Of course, the plaster is much
smoother than the drywall.)

Is there anything I could do to minimize the transition between the
plaster and the drywall in terms of painted finish/texture? Someone
suggested using a thicker nap roller on the plaster to create some
texture that would match the "orange peel" appearance of the drywall.

Any advice?

If, and that could be a big IF, I understand your question:

Talk to a decorator, getting a match between plaster and drywall will be
hard to do. So, don't try. Use another approach, such as a decorative
wall-paper strip (with boarder) about 12" or 24" from the ceiling down on
each wall. (or how ever far down the wall the problem is.)

Warning, if you don't know what you are doing with matching wall paper
colors, window treatment, carpets, color schemes, and color transitions
room-to-room, you can get into a lot of ugly real fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The age of the plaster and whether it was primed are important to
consider before proceeding.
Assuming it cured for at least a month and was primed, the next step
would be light sanding
of the drywall surface to take down the texture a bit. Then a coat of
paint with roller on
the entire wall.

Plaster or drywall? Dave Baker UK diy 4 July 26th 07 12:59 AM
drywall to wood transition Eigenvector Home Repair 5 March 24th 07 03:03 PM
Drywall over cracked plaster? Peter De Smidt Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 11:02 AM
Painting plaster Vs papering then painting Tim Downie UK diy 2 October 26th 04 10:54 AM
Tiling a shower, how to transition from backer board (durock) to drywall Rich Home Repair 3 August 28th 03 12:29 AM