Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Service life of a high-efficiency refrigerator?

On Sep 15, 10:21*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
Did you know that all new refrigerators sold in the US have only a one year
warranty on the compressor? That's not because they last longer, it's
because, on average, the compressors last less than five years. Five years
used to be the warranty standard until a few years ago. The manufacturers
were going broke replacing compressors under the 5 year warranty.

Did you know that you don't know what you're talking about? I bought
a Kitchenaid fridge a few months ago. It has a 5 year warranty for
parts and labor on the sealed refrigeration system. And the
refrigeration system is covered for years 6 through 10 for parts.
And I'm willing to bet that I can find plenty of other brands with
similar warranties.

Our high end Jennair lasted 3 years. $ 600 to replace the compressor.

Speaking of other brands, from Jennair website:

Jenn-Air 22 cu. ft. Counter Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator
JCD2295KEP
"Warranty & Service Plan
For one (1) year from the original retail purchase date, any part
which fails in normal home use will be repaired or replaced free of
charge. For second through fifth year parts and labor for the sealed
refrigeration system.

So, where did you buy that Jennair fridge, with no warranty? From
some hack on Craigslist instead of an authorized dealer?

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-"mike" wrote in message

My refrigerator is 36 years old. *Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a *new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. *Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. *If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike- Hide quoted text -