Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Service life of a high-efficiency refrigerator?

My refrigerator is 36 years old. Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 6:41�pm, mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. �Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a �new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. �Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. �If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

my high efficency fridge is 11 years old and going strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 7:33�pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 14, 6:41 pm, mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

my high efficency fridge is 11 years old and going strong.

Hi,
Our is ~14 years old and never had any problem so far. Knock on the wood!- Hide quoted text -

the first generation had all sorts of troubles with overheating blown
compressors.

today reability appears good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 5:41*pm, mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. *Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a *new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. *Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. *If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

Test yours will a kill-a-watt meter, my 19.5 cu ft sears costs about
4.75 a month, a 36 yr old unit maybe be 12-25 a month, nobodys
electric rates are staying the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 9:00�pm, ransley wrote:
On Sep 14, 5:41�pm, mike wrote:

[...]

electric rates are staying the same.- Hide quoted text -

well my 1952 fridge bought by my grasndparents was still going strong
when replaced about 1997 when i got married. but it had a rusty case,
no ice maker, and was generally plain old. our electric bill went
down too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. If true, that negates all the savings.

Likely all that means is that like most bigbox places he was leading you
to whatever he was told to sell that day.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you know that all new refrigerators sold in the US have only a one year
warranty on the compressor? That's not because they last longer, it's
because, on average, the compressors last less than five years. Five years
used to be the warranty standard until a few years ago. The manufacturers
were going broke replacing compressors under the 5 year warranty.

Our high end Jennair lasted 3 years. $ 600 to replace the compressor.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"mike" wrote in message
My refrigerator is 36 years old. Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

I saw a little dorm room refrigerator
at Wal-Mart the other day that has no
compressor. It's the first solid state
refrigerator I've seen on the mass market
that runs off regular line current. It
uses a Peltier cooling device. The only
moving part is the fan. It will be quite
interesting to see if the technology is
ever scaled up to the size of your typical
kitchen refrigerator.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 5:20*am, Uncle Monster wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

[8~{} Uncle Monster- Hide quoted text -

It can be scaled up easily but look at the consumption of the unit, I
bet it as much as a large side by side

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 10:21*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
Did you know that all new refrigerators sold in the US have only a one year
warranty on the compressor? That's not because they last longer, it's
because, on average, the compressors last less than five years. Five years
used to be the warranty standard until a few years ago. The manufacturers
were going broke replacing compressors under the 5 year warranty.

Did you know that you don't know what you're talking about? I bought
a Kitchenaid fridge a few months ago. It has a 5 year warranty for
parts and labor on the sealed refrigeration system. And the
refrigeration system is covered for years 6 through 10 for parts.
And I'm willing to bet that I can find plenty of other brands with
similar warranties.

Our high end Jennair lasted 3 years. $ 600 to replace the compressor.

Speaking of other brands, from Jennair website:

Jenn-Air 22 cu. ft. Counter Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator
JCD2295KEP
"Warranty & Service Plan
For one (1) year from the original retail purchase date, any part
which fails in normal home use will be repaired or replaced free of
charge. For second through fifth year parts and labor for the sealed
refrigeration system.

So, where did you buy that Jennair fridge, with no warranty? From
some hack on Craigslist instead of an authorized dealer?

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-"mike" wrote in message

My refrigerator is 36 years old. *Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a *new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. *Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. *If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
[...]

If you Google solid state refrigerators you
will find that there is a lot of research
going on with new materials other than the
well known Peltier devices. The fields of
refrigeration and air conditioning should
get very interesting within the next few
years.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 15:49:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 14, 6:41?pm, mike wrote:
My refrigerator is 36 years old. ?Still going strong, but
if you believe published efficiency numbers, it's costing
me a hundred bux a year more than it would for a ?new one.
Payback calculations depend on your assumptions for the
time value of money and inflation in energy cost. ?Just looking
at the cash flow, the break even point is 7 years or so.
Looks marginal, but let's save the planet. Off
I went to look at refrigerators.

While chatting with the guy at Sears, he "disclosed" that
the smaller compressors run much longer at higher pressure
and they only
last 6 to 7 years. ?If true, that negates all the savings.

Is there any relevant data relating to service life of the
newer, high-efficiency home refrigerators?
mike

my high efficency fridge is 11 years old and going strong.

One unit doesn't make for a good arguement.

I'm a landlord and of the 6 refrigerators that I've purchased over the
last 7 years, three have developed compressor related problems.
One was was a bad compressor start relay PCB - increasingly common,
two others were the actual compressor.

Sinee the start relay assembly was not covered by the 5 year
compressor warranty, the cost for that repair, about $120, came out of
my pocket.

The tenant replaced one bad refrigerator without asking my permission.
The 3rd unit had a new compressor relaced under warranty at about the
4-1/2 year point.

Brands included, GE, Hotpoint (same as GE), Roper (made by Whirlpool)
and Amana (Maytag then, Whirlpool now).

Thus the compressor reliability rate in my admittedly small sample
isn't great.

The above refrigerators replaced old units that were from 20 to 45
years old, including brands like Kelvinator, GE and Amana. None of
them ever had compressor related failures. They were basically
replaced when the rust got too bad on the cabinets or shelving.

The Kevinator units were amazing. They used a hot gas defrost system
versus the typical electric heater in the freezer compartment. The use
of hot gas defrosting had to be more efficient since it didn't depend
on electrical resistance heating but it was noisy!
The timer would call for a defost cycle, the freon gas solenoids would
slam shut, reversing the gas flow and causing the compressor to strain
like hell for about 20 seconds. Yet, those compressor were still
running after 40 years.

Doug