Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default -google_groups- No joint compound here

Nate Nagel wrote:
George wrote:
Andy wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

When I was moving my washer and dryer to a new location I was
surprised to find *no* joint compound or teflon tape in two places
where I would have expected it. 1. The connection between the flexible
gas line at either end - the dryer and the gas pipe. 2. At either end
of the washer flexible supply hoses.

Should there be dope on any of those threads? I have not been able to
find a definitive answer.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Andy writes:
"Joint compound" isn't the material you are talking about... You are
talking
about "pipe thread dope"..

Dope is used ONLY where the threads are the point of sealing. It
fills in the
voids and makes the thread to thread joint airtight...

Gas lines are pressure fitted by smooth mating surfaces .
No thread dope is used because the threads
are not the place where the seal occurs.

Washer water hoses are gasket fitted. A rubber washer does the
sealing
with a pressure fit... No thread dope is ever used...

Using thread dope in either of these applications will probably
DECREASE
the ability to seal, because they are a foreign substance which coats
surfaces that should NOT be coated with anything...

Andy

Are you sure?...

I happened to be watching one of those Saturday morning shows that are
heavily sponsored by home depot and they carefully applied dope to all
threaded surfaces on a gas line appliance connection including the nut
on the supply line. So that must be the right way...

Flare fittings don't get dope, tapered pipe fittings do.

Do you ask the people at HD for advice how to fix stuff?

nate

It was a cynical response...