Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerard[_2_] Gerard[_2_] is offline

Default Roughing a bowl blank??

robo hippy schreef:
The 'Oregon' version of that tool, used by the coastal myrtlewood
turners is called 'the Big Ugly Tool'. To make it, you take a 3/4 inch
square bar stock about 30 inches long, and sliver solder a piece of
Tantung (don't know what exactly it is, but a piece about 7/8 inch
wide, and 2 plus inches long, and about 3/32 thick) onto each end. You
wear a glove on your right hand to protect it from the other cutter.
The profiles are slightly different, but the Tantung can be sharpened
on a standard grinding wheel. You can litterally turn for half a day
without having to resharpen. A wonderful tool, equally useful on
spindles and bowls. I have seen the daintiest of spindles/finials
turned with it, as well as bowls. For finish cuts, use it in a shear
angle. I love to rough out spindles with it, but prefer a wider tool
for bowls, in the 1 1/4 inch range. The only draw back to the Ci 1
Rougher is that you can't sharpen the cutters, and I am too cheap to
spend $22 for a new cutter each time I would wear one out. An
excellent tool though.
robo hippy

As you can see he
http://www.easywoodtools.com/purchase.htm
the cutters are flat on top, so sharpening on a fine diamond stone must
be possible. Sharpening the sides would be a bit harder to do. If one
sharpens carbide, use water, the dust of carbide is poisonous.

Gerard.

http://woodarts4u.com/