Posted to alt.home.repair
dave dave is offline

Default new SquareD QO breaker fits a SquareD QO panel *SUPER-lousy*(pix posted)

dpb wrote:
dave wrote:
what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be
putting INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

There will be an list of approved breakers in the panel on the door or
inside the cover.

--

I just checked two things:

1. seems the breakers site responds 'intermittently'. it was just 'down'
for a few minutes, but it's back up now (free hosts, can't complain). and

2. I looked for the label saying 'approved breakers' (or even anything
close to that) and found nothing even close. what i DID find you can see
clearly in the last image, that being this one:

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breake...os/photo7.html
lousy_QO_breaker_fit07.JPG

top left of the pic where it says "catalog number QOC40UF" and series
SO1 (for whatever those numbers might indicate)

just had a thought, though: is it possible squareD made the 50 amp
breaker -intentionally- offset (like mine is) to make it impossible for
someone to -install- a breaker opposite it? (yeah, seems unlikely to me too)

so, like when I go to buy the 100 amp QO breaker I really need (for my
welder, I've seem 'em on ebay), I'm going to have to have the (ebay)
seller measure the offset of the rear contactor-clips to the breaker
case end? to make sure I GET the "right fit"? sure seems that way.

sidenote: the original and 'bad fit' breakers "appear virtually
identical" from the breaker switch side, near as I can determine.

sheesh...hoping to NOT have to "file to fit" like joe suggested. and I
even think these breakers are hecho in USA, fer cryin' out loud. I mean
like a few thousandths off I can understand, but this lousy fit "misses
the mark" by a full three-sixteenths

still hope for more illumination on this weirdness from you guys. and thanks