Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new SquareD QO breaker fits a SquareD QO panel *SUPER-lousy* (pixposted)

bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp
breaker panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only
fits *way* too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO
breakers can EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit
causes the breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the
breaker panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dave wrote:
what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

There will be an list of approved breakers in the panel on the door or
inside the cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 15, 1:01*pm, dave wrote:
bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp
breaker panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only
* fits *way* too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO
breakers can EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit
causes the breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the
breaker panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

thanks

Had the same problem with a 30A 240V QO. I think the lads punching out
the panels need to tell the molding die makers responsible for the
breaker housings that somebody can't read a micrometer. The fix is to
sand a bit off the breaker housing and file a smidgeon off the panel
punch out so that everything goes together. Even so, you may have
trouble with the panel cover meeting the box. It's said that
blueprints from the early industrial revolution contained the phrase,
"heat it, beat it and file to fit". Seems to apply in this case. I
would have thought we had progressed beyond that. like the Chinese.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

dave wrote:

bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp
breaker panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only
fits *way* too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO
breakers can EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit
causes the breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the
breaker panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

thanks

Looks like perhaps you installed it with the plastic or metal rail clip
along side the rail instead of clipped over it. Could be bent as well.
The breaker will install offset if you do this. As far as I know there
are only two versions, QO, the snap in, and QOB the bolt on version (and
some non panel lug only versions I think).
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I just checked two things:

1. seems the breakers site responds 'intermittently'. it was just 'down'
for a few minutes, but it's back up now (free hosts, can't complain). and

2. I looked for the label saying 'approved breakers' (or even anything
close to that) and found nothing even close. what i DID find you can see
clearly in the last image, that being this one:

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breake...os/photo7.html
lousy_QO_breaker_fit07.JPG

top left of the pic where it says "catalog number QOC40UF" and series
SO1 (for whatever those numbers might indicate)

just had a thought, though: is it possible squareD made the 50 amp
breaker -intentionally- offset (like mine is) to make it impossible for
someone to -install- a breaker opposite it? (yeah, seems unlikely to me too)

so, like when I go to buy the 100 amp QO breaker I really need (for my
welder, I've seem 'em on ebay), I'm going to have to have the (ebay)
seller measure the offset of the rear contactor-clips to the breaker
case end? to make sure I GET the "right fit"? sure seems that way.

sidenote: the original and 'bad fit' breakers "appear virtually
identical" from the breaker switch side, near as I can determine.

sheesh...hoping to NOT have to "file to fit" like joe suggested. and I
even think these breakers are hecho in USA, fer cryin' out loud. I mean
like a few thousandths off I can understand, but this lousy fit "misses
the mark" by a full three-sixteenths

still hope for more illumination on this weirdness from you guys. and thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 11:47*am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 15, 1:01*pm, dave wrote:

[...]

I have had the same trouble that Joe described but the mismatch was
small.....like a 1/32" or less.

I attributed it to bad sheet metal working tolerances & filed the
cover to fit.

The mismatch in your case is WAY too much for a tolerance issue...is
the breaker clipped in wrong?

Taking a look at the photos, the 50A breaker dimensions look pretty
close to that QO220 that's already in the box.......

My suggestion is pull that QO220 & compare it physically to the 250.
I'll bet that they're slightly different on the back sides.

Some QO breakers have "box interface hooks" that make them fit in some
boxes but not others.....check that out.

You might even clip the 220 in spot where the 250 isn't working & vice
versa to do an all around fit check.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

aww, jeesh, who WANTS to do all that?

OK, I'm on it...out pullin' breakers, with the digi-cam...

will let you guys know what I found

BobK207 wrote:
On Sep 15, 11:47 am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 15, 1:01 pm, dave wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp breaker
panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only fits *way*
too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO breakers can
EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit causes the
breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the breaker
panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

It looks as though the circuit breaker is not installed properly. The
mounting clips on the breaker below the screw terminals need to snap onto
the rail in the back. Pull out the breaker and press the mounting clips
onto the rail and then push the other end onto the power buss. The new
breakers require a lot of force.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ok, guys, we're all fixed up good now. pete C gets the prize, for his
first mention of my possibly having installed it offset.

removed the 'new' breaker. took more photos, but believe you guys know
what it looks like. also removed the TOP left 50 amp 2 pole, compared
the two, found the 'old original' 50 amp and the 'new' one were exactly
alike: fronts, backs, sides, rear clips, rear clip offsets, all of it...

interchanged the two, then interchanged 'em back (for good measure :-),
this time with the clips on RIGHT.

all's well that ends well, thanks again you guys :-)

ps-who has a SquareD 100 amp 2 pole QO breaker they wanna sell me?
'used' is fine with me.

replies to my "breaker wanted" please send to machines at cox dot net OR
just e-mail me from my 'weird breakers fit' site. try to make sure '100
amp breaker' is in your subject line :-)

thanks again, guys :-)

toolie dave bubba

BobK207 wrote:
On Sep 15, 11:47 am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 15, 1:01 pm, dave wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp breaker
panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only fits *way*
too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO breakers can
EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit causes the
breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the breaker
panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

thanks

I agree with John Grabowski, it looks to me like you missed the rail, like
you're in front of it. Remove the wires from the breaker, then try snapping
the rear end on the rail first, then the buss end. Once it's properly
seated, attach the wires, which by the way look to small for a 50 amp
breaker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:59:28 -0400, RBM wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Compared to the 15 amp circuit above it, the wore looks to be at least 8
ga., about what I ran my 50 stove circuit, per licensed electrician.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.. .

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

When I looked at the other pictures it became less conclusive as to the
size. It is a bit peculiar that the black and white wires are attached to
the breaker, and the red wire is off to the side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Missed that. As long as it gets connected properly at both ends it should
be fine, though I would prefer to have the red hooked up to power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Buba I see why it does not fit, the Panel (electrical box) is made for
Spanish speaking people and your circuit breaker is made for English
speaking people
I hope now you understand why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tony