Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default new SquareD QO breaker fits a SquareD QO panel *SUPER-lousy* (pixposted)

On Sep 15, 1:01*pm, dave wrote:
bought a new 50 amp 2 pole breaker to fit into our SquareD 150 amp
breaker panel. it only fits in there "sort of": when installed, it only
* fits *way* too far rightward from the other breakers, which means NO
breakers can EVER be put on the right side of it. also, the weird fit
causes the breaker panel cover to hardly fit back on at ALL. neither the
breaker panel NOR the new breaker is a QO "homeline" type either.

got me baffled. please see for *yourself*

http://bubba.hostrator.com/QO_breaker_lousy_fit/

what "kind" of SquareD QO circuit breakers *am* I supposed to be putting
INTO this panel that'll "fit correctly", guys?

thanks

Had the same problem with a 30A 240V QO. I think the lads punching out
the panels need to tell the molding die makers responsible for the
breaker housings that somebody can't read a micrometer. The fix is to
sand a bit off the breaker housing and file a smidgeon off the panel
punch out so that everything goes together. Even so, you may have
trouble with the panel cover meeting the box. It's said that
blueprints from the early industrial revolution contained the phrase,
"heat it, beat it and file to fit". Seems to apply in this case. I
would have thought we had progressed beyond that. like the Chinese.

Joe