Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Work light for drill press, lathe

topposting corrected

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:11:11 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

This is interesting!
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?
I was looking to make a ring light for my digital camera to photograph small
object in the past. Would this do in your opinion?

Good question. I was curious, too, so I found
http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz , which gives them 108.098 lumens.

I was going to make one for my old Nikon Coolpix 995 but never did
spend the time. Here are some "make ring light" links I dug up:
http://www.dansdata.com/ringlight.htm

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/ringlight/ Check out her eyes in the
first pic. _Evil_ looking ring light reflections, wot? g This
isn't LED, BTW.

http://brainerror.net/texts/howto/macroring/

http://users.telenet.be/cisken/LED_r...ringlight.html

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.