Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Work light for drill press, lathe

I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is interesting!
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?
I was looking to make a ring light for my digital camera to photograph small
object in the past. Would this do in your opinion?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Terry" wrote in message
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bad idea! I did that with a 24 volt lamp and transformer to my drill
press and the 12 ga support wire broke and had to be replaced after only
25 years of use. That was 10 years ago and so, statistically, I just
might have to do it again some day.
---- I hope you can tell that this has really worked out well for
me. If the copper wire work hardens in one place, then it just bends
somewhere else, until, I suppose, it is completely work hardened.

I can never get too much light. I will have to try some of these white
LEDS on the mill.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Terry wrote:
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My wife came home with a hand wind up flashlight that has a 0.5 W white LED
in it. It also came with siren and NOAA, AM, FM & WX radio, Interesting
product. It charges a capacitor very likely - maybe a e-cell - and it holds
the power. 1 minute of winding and you have light for a very long time.

Good source for a quick .5W white - Sams sold them - www.lifegearcompany.com
http://www.lifegearcompany.com/psdtools.html My model is different slightly.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Terry wrote:
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto

Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...-MULTI-Chip-Wh....

Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. *I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry

If it's like the rechargeable flashlight from Costco and I bet it is.
It has a rechargeable battery about the size of a penny. Sourced
online it was $5 for a sample. It was one of a pair of flashlights and
the one left in the hot car trunk (Hawaii) failed quicker.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

topposting corrected

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:11:11 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

This is interesting!
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?
I was looking to make a ring light for my digital camera to photograph small
object in the past. Would this do in your opinion?

Good question. I was curious, too, so I found
http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz , which gives them 108.098 lumens.

I was going to make one for my old Nikon Coolpix 995 but never did
spend the time. Here are some "make ring light" links I dug up:
http://www.dansdata.com/ringlight.htm

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/ringlight/ Check out her eyes in the
first pic. _Evil_ looking ring light reflections, wot? g This
isn't LED, BTW.

http://brainerror.net/texts/howto/macroring/

http://users.telenet.be/cisken/LED_r...ringlight.html

--
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without
hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 14, 5:11*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
[about LED flashlight as worklight]
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?
I was looking to make a ring light for my digital camera to photograph small
object in the past. Would this do in your opinion?

Alas, the spectrum of a white LED is jagged, kinda like
bad fluorescent lights; you'd have to do a lot of
work to get the colors to look right if those jaggies
zig where the object being illuminated zags.

Still, it's worth a try; the downside is that the illumination isn't
generally even (the lens in the LED is not removable)
so some kind of diffuser or diffuse reflector is advisable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks. Those are useful links. It is a mystery of Google that when I did
the same search about 2 years ago nothing similar cropped up.

108 lumens? That is more than a single 6P Surefire produces! And that is a
lot of light! I stopped using it to check pupil dimensions - nobody could
look into the light :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Good question. I was curious, too, so I found
http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz , which gives them 108.098 lumens.

I was going to make one for my old Nikon Coolpix 995 but never did
spend the time. Here are some "make ring light" links I dug up:
http://www.dansdata.com/ringlight.htm

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/ringlight/ Check out her eyes in the
first pic. _Evil_ looking ring light reflections, wot? g This
isn't LED, BTW.

http://brainerror.net/texts/howto/macroring/

http://users.telenet.be/cisken/LED_r...ringlight.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:11:11 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

This is interesting!
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?
I was looking to make a ring light for my digital camera to photograph small
object in the past. Would this do in your opinion?

The candela is (about) the amount of light emitted by a standard candle.
280,000mcd is as meaningful as 280, 000 thou :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:47:38 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

Thanks. Those are useful links. It is a mystery of Google that when I did
the same search about 2 years ago nothing similar cropped up.

108 lumens? That is more than a single 6P Surefire produces! And that is a
lot of light! I stopped using it to check pupil dimensions - nobody could
look into the light :-)

Yabbut, a 100 watt bulb puts out 1,700 lumens. Granted, the flashlight
is used as a spot, not a room brightener, but that's a 16x difference.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...t_vs_throw.htm gives
lux v. lumen factors and has lots of reviews, in case you hadn't seen
it. (I had to update my link, as it used to be on ATT.net.)

P.S: Please don't toppost.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have two of the shake your elbow apart while producing an photon types.
One has a battery and cap. The battery starts you out and the cap brightens
and is what you want to burn. It seems to work better - than the other -
only a cap in it - and it takes a bit more rattle.

If the battery is depleted - it can be a problem.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

On 2008-09-15, wrote:

[ ... ]

If it's like the rechargeable flashlight from Costco and I bet it is.
It has a rechargeable battery about the size of a penny. Sourced
online it was $5 for a sample. It was one of a pair of flashlights and
the one left in the hot car trunk (Hawaii) failed quicker.

Beware. I have one of the shake to charge flashlights, which
doesn't put out that much light, but which stores nicely in the car.

A friend picked up another a year or two later from the same
hamfest, and that one was bogus. It had a coin cell in it. The moving
"magnet" was not even magnetic. :-)

So -- he just changes the coin cell from time to time. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
108 lumens? That is more than a single 6P Surefire produces! And that is a
lot of light! I stopped using it to check pupil dimensions - nobody could
look into the light :-)

Yabbut, a 100 watt bulb puts out 1,700 lumens. Granted, the flashlight
is used as a spot, not a room brightener, but that's a 16x difference.

Not sure what your point is. All I was saying is that the output of the
single LED in question is comparable to a well known small flashlight with
an incandescent bulb assuming one can believe the figures given and that the
said output is quite considerable. I am sure there are many examples of
light sources that are more and others that are less powerful.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-15, wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

If it's like the rechargeable flashlight from Costco and I bet it is.
It has a rechargeable battery about the size of a penny. Sourced
online it was $5 for a sample. It was one of a pair of flashlights and
the one left in the hot car trunk (Hawaii) failed quicker.

* * * * Beware. *I have one of the shake to charge flashlights, which
doesn't put out that much light, but which stores nicely in the car.

* * * * A friend picked up another a year or two later from the same
hamfest, and that one was bogus. *It had a coin cell in it. *The moving
"magnet" was not even magnetic. :-)

* * * * So -- he just changes the coin cell from time to time. :-)

* * * * Enjoy,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

I heard about those.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is interesting!
I am not familiar with their units of luminosity. What is it in Lumens?

Lumen is a unit of total light flux. Candela (cd) or millicandela
(mcd= 0.001 cd) is beam intensity in lumens per steradian, lux is
how brightly an object is illuminated in lux per square meter. The
most useful measure of brightness for photography is lux.

The width of the beam angle has as much to do with brightness as the
lumen output. In photography, the distance and extent of the subject
would determine the best beam angle, one which illuminates the entire
subject while not spilling much beyond it -- i.e., outside the field
of view.

Examples: 1000 lumens from a light bulb with no reflector produces
about 80 cd. At a distance of 1 meter the brightness would be about
80 lux.

With a reflector or lens forming a beam with 40 deg half angle (80 deg
included angle) those 100 lumens produce subject brightness of about
680 lx, beam intensity of 680 cd.

At 10 degree included angle (flashlight) it's about 40,000 lx on the
subject (at 1 meter) with beam intensity of 40,000 cd.

These are approximate because I've not figured in intensity
distribution within the beam. But they're indicative.

Some comparison points:

Bright sunlight about 110,000 lux
shade illuminated by entire blue sky, midday: 20,000 lux
Typical TV studio lighting 32,000 lux

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Lumen is a unit of total light flux. Candela (cd) or millicandela
(mcd= 0.001 cd) is beam intensity in lumens per steradian, lux is
how brightly an object is illuminated in lux per square meter. The
most useful measure of brightness for photography is lux.

So, to paraphrase, lux measure the effect, the lumens measure the raw output
and candelas measure how this raw output is directed.
I have no doubt that lux is most useful for photography. In the 60's
"luxmeter" was cameraman's best friend (do they still use it I wonder?).
However, to compare bulb's raw output should surely be done in lumens? To
talk about the luminosity of the LED in candelas without mentioning the
angle is meaningless?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC