Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] Woodbowls@gmail.com is offline

Default Roughing a bowl blank??

On Sep 14, 6:32*am, "john" wrote:
Hi all, I a have huge roughing gouge, trouble is it's not supposed to be
used for bowl blanks. *Apparently it's not designed to cope with the
alternating "with the grain, against the grain" cutting. *I know some
turners use them on bowls but the practice is said to be dangerous. *Fine by
me, I'm all for safety. *BUT, what 'do' I use to rough out a bowl blank?
Your comments would be appreciated.

Hi folks, the current move to rename that wide gouge to a SPINDLE
ROUGHING GOUGE is for a very good reason. The width of the gouge is
NOT meant to go inside the confines of a bowl!! You will get a fatal
catch that will ruin your bowl or your self. Bowl work is best left to
BOWL GOUGES. You may vary the grind of the Bowl Gouge I use up to a
5/8" Irish ground gouge for hogging off wet wood. Any one suggesting
the use of the "SRG" for bowls is at best foolhardy, at worst stupid!

Marty