Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Tin openers

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:32:59 +0100, Rod wrote:

Yuk, not even rinsed so it goes all manky in the bin?

If it's collected frequently enough, is the food left on a can any worse
than the other stuff that ends up in the bin?

Well nothing goes in our landfill bin that will rot, *anything* that will
rot goes to the composter out back. Tins, paper and glass end up in the
green box for the council recycling truck. Plastic bottles and films are
taken to a recycling bank when we go shopping, same with card and juice
cartons.

There is very little going into our landfill bin most is metalised plastic
films as they can't be recycled and other household waste like the hoover
contents. If we managed to get 1/2 a bag full in a week we have thrown a
lot of stuff out...

What? Can't you put the (metal) lid in with the (same metal) tin for
recycling?

Hands up! I should obviously have phrased that to be "separately to
other (non-can) rubbish)".

B-)

I have never made any effort to squash cans because the collecting box
we have is ample for the containers we collect without doing so.

The green box lives outside and 2l ice cream tubs sit nicely in an old
vegetable trolly thing for tins, small hard plastic bits (caps, ring pulls
etc) and foil.

Understood about "nothing goes in our landfill bin that will rot", my
reference to not washing cans out was really prior to the recycling systems.

I guess it is individual household arrangements. We find it easier to
take stuff out more or less as we go.

(Really helpful these council systems - our cans/plastics container is
black, green is for paper/card! Isn't there a BS colour coding?)

--
Rod

onset.