Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Tin openers

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:34:46 +0100, Bruce wrote:

That isn't the same opener I have - mine looks more like the "lift
off" type, but the QVC one cuts in exactly the same place, leaving a
still-rigid can with no sharp edges.

We have and ancient "lift off" type. It cuts the side of the can below the
rim but the top edge of the can is sharp. How does this QVC deal with the
top edge of the can to leave "no sharp edges"?

It cuts through the rim, not the side of the can.

I'm not sure exactly how, but it seems to exploit a line of weakness
in the rim which is presumably the joint where the lid is put on when
the can has been filled. But I'm only guessing.

There certainly isn't even a trace of a sharp edge left behind, either
on the lid or on the rim of the can.

If I hadn't bought one of these can openers and seen how it works,
leaving no sharp edges, I think I would have found it very difficult
to believe. But it does work exactly as claimed.

(At least mine does. It is slightly different to the QVC version but
obviously uses the same principle.)