Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Flashlight bulbs (E what?)

In article ,
PeterD wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:52:58 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

THe bulb which Radio Shack sells as "standard flashlight bulb"

There is no such thing as a 'Standard Flashlight Bulb'. Flashlight
bulbs are typically rated based on the number of cells (batteries) in
the flashlight, two, three, four, five, for example.

I realised too late it is not E5

Is it E7? I want LED versions

I want one for my bike generator but I have many flashlights

Peter & VJP-

I agree that there is no standard. In addition to the number of cells,
bulbs are often "prefocused" while some are not, and may have plain,
screw-in or bayonet bases.

I found a Sears Craftsman LED bulb, that is supposed to work as a
replacement for prefocused incandescent bulbs in flashlights with one to
five cells (1.5 to 8 volts). It is their stock number 34-93044,
"Variable Power L.E.D. Upgrade".

I tried it in an old flashlight with two C-cells. It was brighter than
the old bulb, but does not compare to a good 1-Watt or 3-Watt LED
flashlight. In addition, it costs almost as much as one of those.

You may or may not be able to use one of these with a bicycle generator.
My generator produces alternating current. I could only use a half-wave
rectifier to convert its output to DC, since one side of both the
generator and the bulb are connected to the frame of the bike.

Fred