Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Flashlight bulbs (E what?)

THe bulb which Radio Shack sells as "standard flashlight bulb"

I realised too late it is not E5

Is it E7? I want LED versions

I want one for my bike generator but I have many flashlights

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:52:58 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

THe bulb which Radio Shack sells as "standard flashlight bulb"

There is no such thing as a 'Standard Flashlight Bulb'. Flashlight
bulbs are typically rated based on the number of cells (batteries) in
the flashlight, two, three, four, five, for example.

I realised too late it is not E5

Is it E7? I want LED versions

I want one for my bike generator but I have many flashlights

- = -
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message

wrote:

THe bulb which Radio Shack sells as "standard flashlight bulb"

There is no such thing as a 'Standard Flashlight Bulb'. Flashlight
bulbs are typically rated based on the number of cells (batteries) in
the flashlight, two, three, four, five, for example.

I realised too late it is not E5

Is it E7? I want LED versions

I want one for my bike generator but I have many flashlights

Peter & VJP-

I agree that there is no standard. In addition to the number of cells,
bulbs are often "prefocused" while some are not, and may have plain,
screw-in or bayonet bases.

I found a Sears Craftsman LED bulb, that is supposed to work as a
replacement for prefocused incandescent bulbs in flashlights with one to
five cells (1.5 to 8 volts). It is their stock number 34-93044,
"Variable Power L.E.D. Upgrade".

I tried it in an old flashlight with two C-cells. It was brighter than
the old bulb, but does not compare to a good 1-Watt or 3-Watt LED
flashlight. In addition, it costs almost as much as one of those.

You may or may not be able to use one of these with a bicycle generator.
My generator produces alternating current. I could only use a half-wave
rectifier to convert its output to DC, since one side of both the
generator and the bulb are connected to the frame of the bike.

Fred

The latest issue of Elektor magazine contains a very good article on exactly
that - using a LED to replace an incandescent bulb in an ac driven pushbike
lamp. However, it should be noted that some countries apparently do not
allow the 'upgrade' from bulb to LED.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 01:47:48 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:
PeterD wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:52:58 +0000 (UTC), vjp2 wrote:

[...]

The LED is it's own half-wave rectifier -- at least at low volts and low
current. Elsewise it'll be a used fuse. :-)

But, you might want to use a half-wave rectifier _and_ a large uFd
capacitor to smooth out the ripple -- which, at bicycle speeds, would
cause a significantly annoying flicker in the light output, IMO.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ok, but my question is what is the socket. Radio Shack sell sthis bulb
(which was for my bike)
as incandescent as "standard flashlight bulb". I appreciate the
scemantics, but what is the socket for this bulb he
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Vasos Panagiotopoulos wrote:
Ok, but my question is what is the socket. Radio Shack sell sthis bulb
(which was for my bike)
as incandescent as "standard flashlight bulb". I appreciate the
scemantics, but what is the socket for this bulb he
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Thanks

Not sure what is your question; but if you click the 'features' tab (not
the 'tech specs' tab) on the page above, you get the voltage and the
description of the base as 'threaded'. IME, that threaded base fits a
threaded socket which is universal for flashlights...that are threaded.
One size fits all, regardless of voltage (2.4 in this case) or other
parameters.

Interestingly enough, the 'features' tab also lists an average life of
just five hours. A new bulb at each battery change....?

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
The latest issue of Elektor magazine contains a very good article on
exactly that - using a LED to replace an incandescent bulb in an ac
driven pushbike lamp. However, it should be noted that some countries
apparently do not allow the 'upgrade' from bulb to LED.

Would that worry any cyclist in any country? ;-)

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
Vasos Panagiotopoulos wrote:
Ok, but my question is what is the socket. Radio Shack sell sthis bulb
(which was for my bike) as incandescent as "standard flashlight bulb". I
appreciate the scemantics, but what is the socket for this bulb he

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

E10 or MES - miniature Edison screw. But not all flashlights use this.

This may be some help:-
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/art...aps-and-bases/

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
The latest issue of Elektor magazine contains a very good article on
exactly that - using a LED to replace an incandescent bulb in an ac
driven pushbike lamp. However, it should be noted that some countries
apparently do not allow the 'upgrade' from bulb to LED.

Would that worry any cyclist in any country? ;-)

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Well no, I guess not probably, but I thought it was worth mentioning, as
they went to the trouble to mention it in the article. You must remember
that some continental police forces have absolute zero tolerance of traffic
related offences. Denmark or Sweden or some such Scandinavian place is one.
The Frogs are also pretty pedantic about their traffic laws, so if you
should happen to live in a country with draconian traffic laws, and you were
reading this thread and fancied doing it, I was just pointing out that you
could end up with a fine for your troubles ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
You must remember
that some continental police forces have absolute zero tolerance of traffic
related offences. Denmark or Sweden or some such Scandinavian place is one.

The Frogs are also pretty pedantic about their traffic laws,

Only when broken by foreigners!

Ron