Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Work light for drill press, lathe

Bad idea! I did that with a 24 volt lamp and transformer to my drill
press and the 12 ga support wire broke and had to be replaced after only
25 years of use. That was 10 years ago and so, statistically, I just
might have to do it again some day.
---- I hope you can tell that this has really worked out well for
me. If the copper wire work hardens in one place, then it just bends
somewhere else, until, I suppose, it is completely work hardened.

I can never get too much light. I will have to try some of these white
LEDS on the mill.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Terry wrote:
I picked up one of those el-cheapo LED flashlights that has eight or
nine LEDs ($4). Tightly wound a piece of 12-ga copper wire around it
half a dozen times. The other end of the copper was attached to a
bolt on the column of the drill press. Instant work light! The
copper wire vibrates a bit, but it still works pretty well.

For the lathe I wanted more light so I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50p-1...54QQt cZphoto
Six of these wired in parallel to two D-cells wired in series makes a
nice spotlight. I used a white-epoxy-lined tin can as the holder for
the LEDs.

Best -- Terry