Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default wire splice

On Sep 13, 5:32*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
rb wrote:
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. *I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

A few years back my son was helping a friend of a friend of a friend
(some rich lawyer guy) clean out his garage. When I went to pick him up
I noticed a 12 gauge extension cord, on a cord reel, on the pile of "junk".

I asked my son what was wrong with it and he said it was cut so the guy
was throwing it out. *I told my son to put it in the back of my van.

I stopped around the corner to check it out and smiled at what I saw. I
stopped at the hardware store, picked up a socket and a plug, and less
than an hour later I had a 6' 12 gauge cord and a 19' 12 gauge cord -
and a cord reel.

I must have used the 6' cord hundreds of times since then, inside and
out, and the 19' has seen more projects than I can count. Pretty much
the best three bucks I've ever spent.

eh, I won't even splice an extension cord unless I need it right
away. Reason being that the new ones being sold (at least the good,
contractor grade ones) are nice and "limp" so they don't tangle so
easily, are easy to wind up and store, etc. That said I *have*
spliced extension cords in a pinch simply because it was quicker to
solder it back together rather than run to the store and buy a new
one, and I was in the middle of doing something that required
aforementioned extension cord.

nate