Posted to alt.home.repair
rb rb is offline

Default wire splice

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rb" wrote in message
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way
to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually,
then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Unless you cut it in half, throw away the smaller length and install a male
or female end on what's left

Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice
wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on
outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and
need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are cutting extension cords at
such a rate that you are looking for a better way to splice them back
together, I suggest you work on being more careful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice
wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on
outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and
need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 2:49*pm, "rb" wrote:
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. *I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Not complete info to go on!

This looks a bit like a troll or posted by a very nontechnical person?

Presuming it is posting about AC extension cords operating at (North
America = 115 volts AC) and elsewhere, (perhaps = 230 volts AC) and
are probably chopping into them with an electric lawn mower or such?

Constantly cutting them suggests poor work planning???????

For example: Noticed new neighbour going length-ways on his lawn,
using an electric mower, having to constantly move over and/or cut
past (or even over) his extension cord! Why he didn't cut back and
forth away from the outlet thereby dragging the cord further away each
time is a wonder.

Or he could have extended his cord with another and flaked it out so
it it was at mid point of his line of cutting and he was cutting
'away' from that?

General Rule: DO NOT (for permanent use) JOIN such portable cable/
extension cords (or whatever they are called in your neck of the
woods)!

Do not ever rely on taping except for 'maybe' a very temporary (couple
of hours until stores open) repair! Never use tape in a damp/wet
location

As a temporary measure we have used either those crimp connectors (of
appropriate wire gauge size) and/or soldering the wires, 'staggering'
the joins so they are not alongside each other and to minimize the
bulk of the splice.

Each wire connection is covered with at least one layer of heat shrink
tubing. Preferably the type that has an internal gel that surrounds
the wire join as it shrinks. Also helps waterproof the now suspect
connection.

Then the 'group' of connections, usually live black, white neutral and
green ground in North America; or brown live, blue neutral and yellow/
green in say Europe, are then sleeved with at least two layers of
larger size heat shrink tubing to help protect and strengthen the join/
s. We have also used the larger size heat shrink to protect a chafe or
cut of the outside of such an extension cord/wiring to prevent further
damage. However you cannot do this if the moulded on ends are till
intact, unless you cut of one and install a new 'end' at typical cost
(North America) of around $3 to $5.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2008 9:49 AM rb spake thus:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Nope.

Just to sum up the other replies he

1. If cutting into extension "chords" (are those major, minor,
diminished or augmented chords?) is a recurring problem with you,
perhaps you might want to review your work habits, rather than figure
out how to repair extension cords.

2. Fixing extension cords is a losing proposition.

3. Especially since I see in my latest Harbor Freight catalog that
they're selling 12 gauge triple-tap extension cords (the heavy-duty
ones) for the following prices:

o 25': $19.99
o 50': 34.99
o 100': 64.99

No excuse not to just buy a new one and be careful not to cut it.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soldering butt joints [was wire splice]

On 9/13/2008 1:43 PM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

I solder them instead of butt connectors. The rest just like you. To
minimize bulge I just push the stranded wires together tips to tips so
they mesh together like brushes then apply solder. That way I know they
won't pull apart and won't heat up due to lack of good connection.
If there is only 3 feet to the end of the cord or less I just snip it
and move the plug.

Funny thing: I must be a little obsessive-compulsive about it, because I
can't bring myself to make a butt connection any way other than the way
I've always done it: by wrapping the ends around the other wire, then
soldering. I'm sure your way is just as strong as mine, but I've never
done it that way (your way is probably less bulky as well).

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

rb wrote:
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way to
splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually, then
wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

A few years back my son was helping a friend of a friend of a friend
(some rich lawyer guy) clean out his garage. When I went to pick him up
I noticed a 12 gauge extension cord, on a cord reel, on the pile of "junk".

I asked my son what was wrong with it and he said it was cut so the guy
was throwing it out. I told my son to put it in the back of my van.

I stopped around the corner to check it out and smiled at what I saw. I
stopped at the hardware store, picked up a socket and a plug, and less
than an hour later I had a 6' 12 gauge cord and a 19' 12 gauge cord -
and a cord reel.

I must have used the 6' cord hundreds of times since then, inside and
out, and the 19' has seen more projects than I can count. Pretty much
the best three bucks I've ever spent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me
splice wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on
outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally,
and need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the
line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

OK, I spent too much time in the trusses this morning. I read that as
splicing accidentally-cut Romex for outdoor lights.

Everybody else is right. Either replace the extension cord or cut it
and put on new ends.

On a positive note, my latest Habitat for Humanity house is almost
weathered in. We had a crew of 30 volunteers (30!) today. We went from
a slab eight days ago to completed walls and trusses today. (Don't look
too closely at that truss we had to shave to compensate for a half-inch
bump in the concrete.) What's left of Hurricane Ike sent us home today
after half a day, or we would have finished the ladder trusses and been
ready for roof decking.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty
foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

Actually that might not be as strange as it seems. I knew a guy that had
a really long extension cord with a receptacle box in the middle. He'd
plug his contractor's saw into the receptacle and then further out he
set up his miter saw system.

With one cord, he spread his main powers tools out far enough to have
all sorts of work room around each tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

What is your time worth? Do you have all those supplies in stock? Decent
quality new cords simply aren't that expensive.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

I used to work at an aerospace company in a big bullpen area--a whole
floor with rows of desks and filing cabinets. Each row had a power
cable that plugged into a floor receptacle at one end, then had a
four-outlet junction box every six feet for 30 or 40 feet. The cable
was as big as my thumb.

This worked great, until some dumbass in the shop didn't get rid of an
extension cord when the fire marshall told him to. On the next
inspection, we were ordered not to ever, under any condition, use an
extension cord anywhere in the entire facility. This was a plant with
200-odd buildings covering most of a square mile.

Yeah, it was overkill, but the fire marshall has the power to shut you
down until the case comes up in court, so all the cables were replaced
with official power poles. A couple of hundred thousand dollars later,
we were all official, but much less flexible.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

The junction box makes it hard to wrap an extension cord and put in the tool
box. However, maybe extension chords wrap easier?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure makes it hard to roll up the extension cord.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since they are cut up, and they are his. Would that be Dis-Chord?

"I cut dis chord again... it don't sound too good"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

1. If cutting into extension "chords" (are those major, minor,
diminished or augmented chords?) is a recurring problem with you,
perhaps you might want to review your work habits, rather than figure
out how to repair extension cords.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about extension chord?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SteveBell" wrote in message

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

You make us proud.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
rb wrote:

A few years back my son was helping a friend of a friend of a friend
(some rich lawyer guy) clean out his garage. When I went to pick him up
I noticed a 12 gauge extension cord, on a cord reel, on the pile of "junk".

I asked my son what was wrong with it and he said it was cut so the guy
was throwing it out. I told my son to put it in the back of my van.

I stopped around the corner to check it out and smiled at what I saw. I
stopped at the hardware store, picked up a socket and a plug, and less
than an hour later I had a 6' 12 gauge cord and a 19' 12 gauge cord -
and a cord reel.

I must have used the 6' cord hundreds of times since then, inside and
out, and the 19' has seen more projects than I can count. Pretty much
the best three bucks I've ever spent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On a chord reel, to boot!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty
foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a couple extension cords sitting outside (or are they chords? I'll
have to try to play them). Someday I'll catch a super discount price on
outlet strips at Harbor Freight. Cut them in the middle. Splice plug on one
end, and four or five sockets on the other end of the ext cord. Make a very
versatile gadget. I have also used an outlet box, and a duplex outlet on the
end of an extension cord (chord).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

RBM wrote:

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty
foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

Actually that might not be as strange as it seems. I knew a guy that had
a really long extension cord with a receptacle box in the middle. He'd
plug his contractor's saw into the receptacle and then further out he
set up his miter saw system.

With one cord, he spread his main powers tools out far enough to have
all sorts of work room around each tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you a surgeon, or an engineer?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Remove obvious spamblock to reply.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not much.
Yes.
I know.
Please trim useless, excess text.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
What is your time worth? Do you have all those supplies in stock? Decent
quality new cords simply aren't that expensive.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

[...]

yes I do, because I do a lot of work on older cars. Heat shrink is your
friend.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" wrote:

"rb" wrote in message
I'm running around looking for some device which will help me splice wires
together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on outside
jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally, and need a way
to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords individually,
then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

Unless you cut it in half, throw away the smaller length and install a male
or female end on what's left

And if you *did* cut it in half, put a male connector on one cut end, and a
female connector on the other -- presto! *Two* extension cords.

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Engineer (by degree if not practicing) why?

nate

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Sep 13, 5:32*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
rb wrote:
[...]

eh, I won't even splice an extension cord unless I need it right
away. Reason being that the new ones being sold (at least the good,
contractor grade ones) are nice and "limp" so they don't tangle so
easily, are easy to wind up and store, etc. That said I *have*
spliced extension cords in a pinch simply because it was quicker to
solder it back together rather than run to the store and buy a new
one, and I was in the middle of doing something that required
aforementioned extension cord.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually engineers have highly technical and complicated answers to simple
problems.

Tradesmen (that's me!) use wire nuts and lots of electrical tape.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

You've reinvented frugal. Good job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Unless you cut it in half, throw away the smaller length and install a male
or female end on what's left

And if you *did* cut it in half, put a male connector on one cut end, and a
female connector on the other -- presto! *Two* extension cords.

--
Regards,

Join the UseNet Improvement Project: killfile Google Groups.
http://www.improve-usenet.org

Download Nfilter at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heatshrink, electrical tape, and a few other things. Essential for repar
guys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
What is your time worth? Do you have all those supplies in stock? Decent
quality new cords simply aren't that expensive.

yes I do, because I do a lot of work on older cars. Heat shrink is your
friend.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2008 8:35 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Not much.
Yes.
I know.
Please trim useless, excess text.

Actually, you might want to do something about your mail/news settings
that put all the quoted text into your sig, effectively disappearing it.

Or maybe not.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

It's not complicated, it's the right way to do it... of course the
"right" answer is "buy a new cord" or "make two shorter cords out of
it" as others have posted, but if you're in a pinch and you HAVE to
splice... using wire nuts in an extension cord will make a big knot
of ugliness in the middle of it, increasing the chances that it'll get
caught on something etc.

nate

.

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty
foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

Actually that might not be as strange as it seems. I knew a guy that had
a really long extension cord with a receptacle box in the middle. He'd
plug his contractor's saw into the receptacle and then further out he
set up his miter saw system.

With one cord, he spread his main powers tools out far enough to have
all sorts of work room around each tool.

I have also used an outlet box, and a duplex outlet on the end of
an extension cord (chord).

Not only do I have one of those, but I also have a 2' extension cord
with a GFCI on the end. I made that *long* before GFCI extension cords
were readily available. I went to too many job sites that didn't have
GFCI receptacles available.