Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

On Sep 14, 12:50*am, Boden wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:

"The dude" wrote in message

I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

*Sounds like a good idea. *You can pay the surveyor to drive stakes or
you can follow him around and put in your own stakes. *If you haven't
already you should contact the town about the zoning for fences. *There
may be a setback requirement.

Have the surveyor place the monuments (stakes.) *If you place them they
are meaningless should an issue arise unless you are a licensed land
surveyor.

Its easier to have the survey place some flags but if there's a
conflict, it really doesn't matter who does the placement. The other
side will get their own surveyor and it'll head to court. Surveys
often conflict by a few inches (or feet).

dpb wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

The dude wrote:

I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could
be a sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question
as to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be
or wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on
the house?