Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mekon[_2_] Mekon[_2_] is offline

Default Near complete cradle

Another coat of oil, then a wax and she'll be done. Then I have to pack
both cradle and change table and ship them to Melbourne. It'd be easier
to bring the kid here but the mother doesn't think like that.

The only changes I made to the Cherrytree plan was the stretchers are
supposed to be tapered. I did them that way and didn't like it.
Everything else in the job is curved why not them? So I put a curve on
'em. Actually eight curves. The 'hardware kit' that is an optional
extra to the plan comes with these dinky little screw plugs which sit
proud of the surface like little mushrooms. I didn't like them either
so I turned a dowel to the exact size and sliced it on the bandsaw than
sanded whatever stood proud back flush.

An odd thing happened. I haven't used my lathe in over 18 months,
simply because I pulled the chuck apart to clean it and didn't mark
which jaws went in which slots to put it back. Several frustrating goes
at putting it back together all the while cursing my stupidity and I
abandoned it with the thought of calling the manufacturer to find out
the trick to getting it right. As I said, I needed this exact size
dowel and I was wondering if the hardwood dowels I could buy would be a
close enough match for the silver ash of the crdle. When I thoughtI'd
have another go at putting the chuck back together. I just picked up
the pieces and put them in one by one in the order they happend to hit
my hand. And it worked!

Just dumb luck.

Mekon

--