Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default wire splice

RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me
splice wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords

on outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them
occasionally, and need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the
line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a

junction box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then
you have to replace the entire wire.

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

OK, I spent too much time in the trusses this morning. I read that
as splicing accidentally-cut Romex for outdoor lights.

Everybody else is right. Either replace the extension cord or cut it
and put on new ends.

On a positive note, my latest Habitat for Humanity house is almost
weathered in. We had a crew of 30 volunteers (30!) today. We went
from a slab eight days ago to completed walls and trusses today.
(Don't look too closely at that truss we had to shave to compensate
for a half-inch bump in the concrete.) What's left of Hurricane Ike
sent us home today after half a day, or we would have finished the
ladder trusses and been ready for roof decking.

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his
fifty foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

I used to work at an aerospace company in a big bullpen area--a whole
floor with rows of desks and filing cabinets. Each row had a power
cable that plugged into a floor receptacle at one end, then had a
four-outlet junction box every six feet for 30 or 40 feet. The cable
was as big as my thumb.

This worked great, until some dumbass in the shop didn't get rid of an
extension cord when the fire marshall told him to. On the next
inspection, we were ordered not to ever, under any condition, use an
extension cord anywhere in the entire facility. This was a plant with
200-odd buildings covering most of a square mile.

Yeah, it was overkill, but the fire marshall has the power to shut you
down until the case comes up in court, so all the cables were replaced
with official power poles. A couple of hundred thousand dollars later,
we were all official, but much less flexible.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement