Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default wire splice

Nate Nagel wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me
splice wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on
outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally,
and need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the
line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?
The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.
I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever
OK, I spent too much time in the trusses this morning. I read that as
splicing accidentally-cut Romex for outdoor lights.

Everybody else is right. Either replace the extension cord or cut it
and put on new ends.

On a positive note, my latest Habitat for Humanity house is almost
weathered in. We had a crew of 30 volunteers (30!) today. We went from
a slab eight days ago to completed walls and trusses today. (Don't look
too closely at that truss we had to shave to compensate for a half-inch
bump in the concrete.) What's left of Hurricane Ike sent us home today
after half a day, or we would have finished the ladder trusses and been
ready for roof decking.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his
fifty foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle

Actually that might not be as strange as it seems. I knew a guy that
had a really long extension cord with a receptacle box in the middle.
He'd plug his contractor's saw into the receptacle and then further
out he set up his miter saw system.

With one cord, he spread his main powers tools out far enough to have
all sorts of work room around each tool.

I would probably solder the individual wires together and cover them
with heat shrink, then wrap with friction tape then finally electrical
tape (or really big heat shrink if I had it)

if this is going to be used in a wet location, before sliding the heat
shrink over the splices, smear a little silicone grease on them to make
absolutely sure that no water can get in and corrode the wires.

nate

nate

What is your time worth? Do you have all those supplies in stock? Decent
quality new cords simply aren't that expensive.

--
aem sends...