Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default wire splice

"SteveBell" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"SteveBell" wrote in message
rb wrote:

I'm running around looking for some device which will help me
splice wires together.

What is happening is I seem to cut into power extension chords on
outside jobs. I hamburger my way into cutting them occasionally,
and need a way to splice 'em together.

I'd like for it to be a way to not have too big a bulge in the
line.

Right now, I use butt connectors and insulate the chords
individually, then wrap the whole connection.

Any better ways to do this?

The correct way is to use a wirenut, properly enclosed in a junction
box. If you don't want to put in a junction box, then you have to
replace the entire wire.

I sure don't see that kind of splice to often, or ever

OK, I spent too much time in the trusses this morning. I read that as
splicing accidentally-cut Romex for outdoor lights.

Everybody else is right. Either replace the extension cord or cut it
and put on new ends.

On a positive note, my latest Habitat for Humanity house is almost
weathered in. We had a crew of 30 volunteers (30!) today. We went from
a slab eight days ago to completed walls and trusses today. (Don't look
too closely at that truss we had to shave to compensate for a half-inch
bump in the concrete.) What's left of Hurricane Ike sent us home today
after half a day, or we would have finished the ladder trusses and been
ready for roof decking.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Good job Steve. I had a good laugh picturing this guy carrying his fifty
foot extension cord with a 1900 box spliced into the middle